Sunday, March 29, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 2 Chapter 13. Rosa

Everything moved like a dream. the fire trucks came, slowed by the crowd the police continued to fight to disburse. The other survives of Whitey’s Dugout were all in the care of a team of paramedics, also here in great number.

Rosa refused any help. She stood and watched the fire burn, staring into the red-orange glow of the decimated building. She still hoped that somehow Garrett would find his way out. But he was inside when it blew. No one could survive that.

She knew it was true, even though she hated to think it. Garrett Vos was dead.

“Miss, miss!”

Rosa turned. Her ears still rung, but normal hearing was returning to her. A police officer was speaking to her. He was young, a black man in his early twenties. He couldn’t be older than her, but he did cut a handsome figure in his uniform. He held a black notebook and a concerned look.

“I’m sorry. I-I lost someone inside.”

“I apologize for your loss. But that’s why I need to speak to you. I need to get a statement from you. If we do it here, I can send you on your way.”

She nodded.

“What’s your named.”

She almost threw out “Waterspeed” before she remembered she was out of her costume. “My name is Rosa Acevedo.”

“I’m Officer Kenwood. You can call me Keith.” He gave her a weak smile.

“All right, Keith.”

She quickly covered the events inside Whitey’s Dugout to Keith, glossing over Garrett or her metahuman abilities. That information might just cause more problems. It turned out not to matter. When she had explained Garratt ran back inside, he interrupted.

“Wait, is this the Garrett Vos. That Stomp guy?”

“Yeah.”

He scribbled down a note. “I’m sorry for your loss. He shouldn’t have ran back inside. That kind of thing is best handled by professionals.”

“Yeah, the professionals.”

“I’m sorry. That was insensitive.”

“No, that’s all right. You’re probably right. I don’t think that fact would have stopped Garrett though.”

“There are always those types. Stomp is pretty well known around town. Do you know of any enemies he had that might have wanted him dead or hurt?”

Only a secret criminal organization that wants to experiment on us.

“No.”

“How did you know Stomp?”

“He was a friend.”

“Just a friend?”

“Yeah, we only met a little while ago. He was helping me unwind after a couple hard days in my life. This is where he brought me.”

“Was this a scheduled visit? Something that an enemy might know about ahead of time?”

“I don’t think so. Whitey seemed surprised to see Garrett. But you might want to ask him to be sure.”

“One of the senior officers is already speaking with Mister Davi. I’ll make sure to check up with him in a few minutes. Can I get an address and phone number in case we need to ask a few follow up questions?”

She quickly gave him her information. He scribbled it down in his notebook, then closed the little leather bound tablet.

“Thank you for your help, Ms. Acevedo. I can give you a ride home if you would like.”

She turned back to the fire. Rosa felt exhausted. She would need to get a hold of the others, let them know what happened. But right now she really just needed sleep.

“Please. I would really appreciate that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment