Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Book 3 Chapter 26-2

“I wish I knew,” Melinoe said. “They are no one have I ever met. I don’t know why they came after me. I don’t even know why anyone would want me dead. I’ve only been in the city for a couple days.”

“A couple days? And you’re already working at Jacks?”

“He liked my audition. I just came to the town to stay with my brother. I had a falling out with my stepfather.”

Keith shook his head. “You kids these days. Living with your parents until you’re thirty.”

“Are my former living arrangements really a concern? I think we should be more concerned with the murderer and murderess on our tail.”

He glanced up into the rear view mirror. “You’re certainly right about that one, lady.”

“I’m often right. Hopefully I’m not right that we’re going to die tonight.”

“Not if I have anything to say about it.”

Keith put on a brave face, but Melinoe knew it was only that. The motorcyclists could keep up with their pace far longer and far more easily, winding in and out of traffic while Keith was forced to slow for it. It would only be a matter of time before they were close enough to the car to strike. She might not know why they wanted her dead, but either the muscular brute or the whip-carrying dominatrix could easily take them off the road sooner or later and make sure she would visit her father’s kingdom for the last time.

Keith suddenly veered right and Melinoe was forced to catch herself before her head struck the window. He turned from the eight lane freeway onto an exit. A second later, they ran a red onto a four lane road leading back towards downtown.

“We’re never going to outrun them,” Keith said. “My only chance is to bring them to somewhere we might have a chance to stand up to them. And it has to be a place where no more innocents will get drawn into the carnage. And I think I know just the place.”

“The place? What are you thinking? Where do you think we’re going to take this that we won’t get killed by two metahuman psychopaths?”

“Right up there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment