Saturday, November 28, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 11-4

“You say this is the future, but can it be stopped?”

“I don’t know for certain,” Kaihime said. “I can spout quantum theories at you, but I’m not a time traveler by nature. I don’t know what it means. But I knew that I could trace the rise of GENESIS to this moment, when they sought to secure a group of powers unlike their previous victims. Your friends. If we can stop GENESIS now, we might be able to make it too much of a liability for the Court of Shadows to continue their work.”

“How? This is too big, Kaihime. I hunt ghosts. My friends have powers, but none of us are heroes. We can’t fight an endless army.”

“Then the world is lost.”

“What about F.O.R.C.E.? Why not go to them?”

“A government entity? The Court’s reach is long. They have agents on the inside. They would tip off GENESIS before F.O.R.C.E. could do anything. No, we have to do this ourselves.”

“It’s too much,” Alli said.

“I know my words are terrible. But the mission must be completed, one way or another.”

“But what if we can’t find Marilyn and the others?”

“Then we have to find someone else to help us. And for that we need to return to Spirit Cop Headquarters.”

“Why?”

“I believe you have files in place. We must unlock them and find the rest of their metahuman database. River City has more metahumans. We can only hope they will come to our aid in our time of need.”

“Alright. You make it sound like I don’t have much choice. But when this is over, you need to help me find Marilyn.”

“You care about her a great deal,” Kaihime said. “Is this what you call love? It’s an emotion I can fathom, but I’m not sure I fully understand.”

“Yes, I would call it love,” Alli said. “And maybe someday you will get a chance to understand it, Kaihime. But it sounds like we’ve got a lot to do before then. Let’s get you to those files and see what you can do with them. Then we find my friends and stop this GENESIS once and for all.”

Kaihime could only nod her head in agreement.

This was going even better than she could have hoped. She thought she would face far more resistance to her revelations. But Alli believed her every word. She would follow and help her find the others and stop GENESIS. And when all was said and done, Kaihime knew her real plan could begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment