Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 20-3

A minute later, Kaihime turned around with a knowing nod. “There, I’ve got access. I will call the information up on the screen so that you can read it.”

A simple desktop folder appeared on the screen. It contained three text files. One was marked List while the others were simply called A and B.

“I’ve scanned them all. No sign of viruses. List looks the most promising however.”

Without touching the keyboard, Kaihime opened up the file called List. A text window filled the screen. The three entries were quite basic, simply names and addresses of three more River City residents. It looked exactly like the list Ian pulled Marilyn and the others’ names from. She recognized all the streets, but none of the names. Still she read them out loud, her eyes narrowed in curiosity.

“Ziya Basara. Eliasz Kucharski. Hope Le Roi. Doesn’t give us anything else to go on. How can we be sure they can help us?”

“We can’t,” Kaihime said. “But we know they are names chosen for a reason. They were hidden on here for a reason. We must have faith those reasons will help us find a way to stop GENESIS.”

“Look, Kaihime. You’ve asked me to take way too much on faith already. But you act like this drive is some kind of oracle. You already said it was written before we were even born. None of that makes any sense. You can’t have me believe—”

“Does speaking with ghosts make any sense? Yet a Spirit Cop exists in this city to help people commune with the lost. How about a woman hidden beneath a city development, surrounded by the corpses of people missing for fifty years. Or a Greek god walking among humanity while his family live quietly in Rhode Island. Are any of your stories so far beyond belief that you cannot believe what I tell you?”

“I—I don’t know. Look, my life has been nothing but a giant complication for the last week. I lost my best friend. My girlfriend has disappeared on me not once, but twice. All I need is some answers. Where did these files come from?”

Kaihime withdrew the filaments from the computer and turned towards Alli. Her face was a puzzle as she studied Alli’s own. The cyborg offered very little expression to indicate at all what she was thinking.

“You will have your answers, but we will have to talk about it as we go. We must find these people before GENESIS does. We have the drive now, but there’s no way to know how much of the information they were able to copy, encrypted or not.”

No comments:

Post a Comment