Thursday, May 19, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 21-2

Another woman chuckled. Marilyn’s head turned to her right. The raven haired woman in front of her reminded her vaguely of Melinoe. Her demeanor was just as dark. “She was always a fool, Audrey. We lured her in with the games and she never suspected the true purpose of the Club.”

Solomon cleared his throat. “Audrey, Jolene, no need for such cattiness. Our friend here was far from the only one that didn’t know our true goals. She just has the misfortune of sticking around even after the ritual was complete. Her soul was supposed to be subsumed. Instead she somehow maintained control of her vessel. That is what must change. After all, her memories are muddled. She can’t even remember her own name.”

“No, I’m Marilyn. I may not be the original, but that’s still who I am.”

The man and the two women laughed at her.

“What is this? What do you want with me?”

“Come now,” Solomon said. “You must at least remember your own death.”

“My—” Flashes of the room around her filled her head. She remembered the bodies and as she did, they appeared all around her. Dozens of corpses, throats slit, some eviscerated from stem to stern. It was a charnel house. Marilyn couldn’t fight back the tears.

“I do believe she’s starting to remember, Jolene.”

“I think you’re right, Audrey. And the weak little fool is already breaking down. This will be easier than we thought.”

Marilyn’s eyes flashed around the room. She saw the bloodstained altar. She remembered it all too well. She remembered Solomon slitting his own throat. And she remembered someone else. Another figure in the shadows, but he wasn’t here. Because this place wasn’t real. With that revelation, memories flooded into her mind.

“My name was Meredith. I knew all of you. I saw you all dead. It was all part of some insane ritual. It was a trap because you wanted me to serve as a ‘vessel’. I think I understand now. This isn’t any part of the real world. I’m inside my mind. And you’re in here with me.”

Audrey and Solomon stayed impassive, but Jolene showed her surprise.

“You thought I was some weak fool,” Marilyn said. “You thought I was an easy target, the perfect mind for you to take for whatever sick scheme you have here. You thought you could erase my mind, steal my body and use it. I just don’t know for what.”

No comments:

Post a Comment