Saturday, May 7, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 20-5

Alli shook her head. “So what are you saying? Someone out there has distributed this information? Why?”

Kaihime shrugged. “I do not have that answer. Whoever or whatever did it, they’ve never left any clues to their origins or their ability to manipulate the internet at the level they showed when they erased the file from every source. Such a thing shouldn’t have been possible, yet it happened, making the Shadow Codex barely a myth on the modern web. But I recognize the coding of the first levels of the files. It cannot be anything other than the Codex. Mother and Father didn’t know, but I accessed the Codex when I first started to test my cybernetics. I would recognize it anywhere, even if I hadn’t been able to access the time locked files at the time.”

“It still doesn’t make sense. How can this file have information about the others before most of them were born?”

“Nothing about the Shadow Codex makes rational sense, Alli. I can only guess some kind of metahuman is responsible for it. But how they gained the knowledge or why they chose to distribute it the way they did is a complete mystery, even to me.”

Alli didn’t know what else to say. Her stories of the Court of Shadows and GENESIS were hard to believe, but grounded in reality. But this Shadow Codex seemed impossible. It would take an oracle with access to technology beyond even the most invasive government in the world. She couldn’t wrap her head around what that could mean. If what Kaihime said was true, her entire life could be an open book to this mysterious figure, from her birth to her death. She felt a shiver run down her spine at the thought.

“You seem worried,” Kaihime said. “At least I think you do. I’m still not good with emotional responses.”

“No. Yeah. Maybe. I don’t know. I just can’t fathom the idea of some kind of internet oracle without a bit of trepidation. It’s a terrifying idea.”

“You amuse me, Allison Finch. You fear the unknown, but you surround your entire life with it. I do understand this dichotomy, yet it fascinates me.”

“I guess I’m glad for you. At least one of us should be happy.”

“Happiness is relative. But I am excited to live life among real people, even if it means a battle for the very existence of mankind. GENESIS must be stopped.”

No comments:

Post a Comment