Thursday, August 6, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 2-2

“I’m not working for those things.”

“Those things are now your neighbors. You’re an American girl now, Mel. And no one is going to support you should you fall. So shut the hell up and find a damn job.”

“Uh! You’re as bad as they are,” Melinoe said. “You know I was this close to being queen of the universe and now I have to deal with this garbage. Do you understand how annoying that is?”

“I’m sure you will survive somehow. I expect you out and looking for a job today. Now I have to go. I have something I need to take care of.”

Melinoe shook her head. “You’re going to see that strumpet of yours. The one that hung on that other girl after she was hurt. I think you’re playing in fire, brother. Don’t get me wrong. I certainly think it’s terribly amusing to watch you flail and struggle, but I just thought it might be apt to give you a head’s up about this.”

“You’re truly a caring, loving sister.”

“Aren’t I though?”

Cyrus patted his sister on the arm. “I have to go. You clean up your mess and get out of here, understood.”

“Yeah, I got it already. Take care, brother.”

“And no killing!”

Melinoe stomped and pouted, but said nothing else as Cyrus left the room.

It took him only a few minutes to take the steps back up to the roof of his apartment, To Cyrus, it felt strange now to be here after the past few days. His father and mother kidnapped Marilyn and him from the same rooftop. After their trip back to his family home and into Hades itself, the rooftop was now just offered an eerie emptiness to him.

It also allowed him somewhere to travel from. With just a thought, Cyrus unleashed a concentrated sonic burst beneath him. The blast drove him into the air and continued bursts allowed him to maintain a path of flight up and over River City.

It was nearly noon and with winter nearing, the air up high was cool. Though River City winters were mild, Cyrus knew he would have to invest in better outerwear in order to take many more airborne routes over the city.

It felt good to not hide his abilities anymore though. He wasn’t on the run, in hiding from his angry parents. He could just live his life and use his powers as he saw fit. Even if those powers wouldn’t do him much good when it came to money.

No comments:

Post a Comment