Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 3-2

She quickly recapped the events of their day together that ended at Whitey’s. She only choked up once when she told the tale of the second explosion that took Stomp’s life. She told it all, only leaving out her night with Keith that followed.

I’m still not sure why I did that myself. It was good and I want to see him again, but I was way too vulnerable to let myself be taken in so easily. I barely knew him. I know better than to trust anyone in this city. This might not be Mexico, but these people are just as corrupt.

“Are you alright? Rosa, are you there?”

The words seemed strange from a man she called a cold-blooded killer. But she realized she let the phone remain silent too long.

“Yes, I am here. And I think I will be alright. Whitey was hurt in the blast, but he’s already up and taking care of the arrangements for Stomp’s funeral. They still haven’t found his mother yet, but he apparently left a will that named Whitey as executor. They haven’t identified Stomp’s remains from those in the fire, but it sounds doubtful they will identify anyone left behind due to the level of heat.”

“Damn. I can come over. I know you don’t trust me, but I wouldn’t want you to be alone. I have someone with me. Her name’s Phoebe and she’s someone I met while we were gone. She’s got powers as well. Maybe together we can find out who did this.”

“Do you think it was the people that captured me? Maybe they decided if they couldn’t capture us, they would kill us.”

“No, I don’t think so. They didn’t seem to want you—or any of us—dead,  but we can find out together. Okay?”

Rosa couldn’t quite believe Ian was being so nice to her, but her mother warned her as a youth that El Sanguijuelo was a trickster. But she did need help and a few other faces might do her good today.

“Okay.”

Rosa wasn’t sure whether she was making a mistake or not, but she knew she couldn’t let Stomp’s murder go unavenged. One way or another, she would find the responsible party and make him pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment