Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 8. Alli

As they drove slowly down the street back to Spirit Cop Headquarters, Alli wasn’t quite sure what to make of the strange woman in her car. This Kaihime clearly knew her somehow, but she stopped talking as soon as she sat down in the Spirit-Mobile. Once inside, she just stared both at the inside of the car and the outside world slowly passing by. She rubbed the dashboard and the seats as if they were something foreign and mysterious.

“Where are you from?” Alli finally asked after the fifth rubdown of the car’s interiors. “Why did you have to make such a dramatic appearance? I have a phone after all.” She waved the cell phone in between them as a reminder.

“I am sorry,” Kaihime said. “I’m a bit unsure of this world. It is...different than I expected.”

“What do you mean ‘this world’? Are you an alien? Because I think I’ve already had my share of those.”

Kaihime shook her head. “No, I simply come from somewhere else. I’m not sure what I can tell you. If I say too much I might endanger the ti—It might be dangerous.”

“Endanger the what?”

“I may have already said too much.”

“What is this about? You said something about Doppelganger. You said he’s alive and targeting us. But we all saw him die. We checked the body. He was definitely dead.”

Kaihime looked out the window again as they whisked by a dilapidated liquor store. “I must tell the others as well. The more often I speak, the more danger I may bring. Please just hurry.”

“You’re not making any sense,” Alli said. “What danger? What problems? You tell me Doppelganger is alive somehow and back after us, but you can’t tell me anything else. I need something to work with here.”

“Bring me to the others. I can give you answers then.”

Alli didn’t much care for the stranger’s attitude, but this Kaihime clearly presented at least an air of truth. The circuits integrated into her skin marked her as something more than human. Alli knew technology-based metahumans existed in the world, but Kaihime seemed completely unlike any of them. The tech in her skin was several generations ahead of anything on the market. And the way the circuits laced into her skin looked like some body modification gone horribly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment