Saturday, September 12, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 5-3

He certainly hoped not. He didn’t consider himself any kind of hero, but he didn’t want to bounce from one bout of insanity to another. But with an unknown organization still out there and after him, with Caelus still loose in the world and with nothing but a whole in his memory, he feared his destiny was not unlike hers.

“So many fossil fuels,” Phoebe said. “Why don’t you use simple power cells to fuel your cars? I have seen your homes. You have the capability to channel electricity anywhere. A simple battery could hold a charge for hours.”

Rosa looked at her with eyes wide. “You really are an alien, aren’t you?”

“More accurately, I suppose I would be called a demigod. My DNA is much like your own. The ancients spread humanity across the galaxy a thousand thousand years ago. Even the oldest elder us does not remember that day. Some of us are just more evolved.”

“I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be awed or insulted,” Ian said.

Phoebe smiled. “Why not both?”

Rosa turned to her window and left Ian to answer Phoebe’s question.

“Our cars mostly run on fossil fuels, as do most of our power plants.”

“I cannot believe a civilization this advanced has yet to unlock nuclear power sources.”

“We have,” Ian said. “We just don’t use them.”

“Why?”

“A lot of people consider them unsafe. They would rather seek solar or wind power.”

“Both are excellent backup generating techniques,” Phoebe said. “But they are impractical for an entire power grid. Nuclear fusion, even fission, would be cleaner and far safer than fossil fuels. I must say your people are strange, Ian Page.”

“I’m not quite sure they are my people. But humanity is built on a bunch of strange dichotomies. I don’t see why energy policy would be any different.”

“I sense much doubt in you, Ian. Even if you once were the monster Rosa fears, you must know you are not that creature now. Whatever took your memory also freed you from that darkness. Now it is up to you to make your own path, whether for good or ill.”

“What if the memories return?”

“Memories are just past experience. They may return, but you have the experiences of the past week as well. Let those guide you.”

“You remind me of Peach, you know. She always had the right things to say. I hope she’s alright.”

“Your friend is resourceful. I believe she will be safe. She was near my own home. With little trouble, she should be able to survive her imprisonment. The world was made to contain, not to kill.”

No comments:

Post a Comment