Thursday, September 17, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 5-5

Ian looked around, but saw no one around. “I did. But we’re alone. The entire pier is empty. The police haven’t even opened it up for businesses to come in. The only people we have to worry about are the cops if they decide to have a look and they’re not going to arrest someone coming back to grieve. And let’s be honest, that’s why we’re here. Stomp died here. He died a hero, but he still died. I can’t quite believe it. It may have only been a few days ago, but he helped me when he didn’t need to do anything. He kept me alive when Doppelganger and his men were after me. And those few days are all the memory I have. It seems crazy but he’s the closest thing to a friend I had in this world. Now in a matter of days, I’ve lost a friend and a lover. And I would be lying if I didn’t say it pissed me off. I’m fucking sick of this.”

“Control your anger, Ian.”

“I don’t want to control it anymore. I spent so much time in fear, but the anger makes it go away. Now I just want to make those monsters pay. So if they want to come for me that’s fine. I’ll fight them with everything I have. I’ll suck the damn life out of them if that’s what it takes.”

“This is a new side of you, Ian Page.” Phoebe stared at him as she said it, as if analyzing him. “It intrigues me. But it doesn’t change the fact that we invite trouble as this location. I sense no signs of life outside the tiniest insects and rodents. They have nothing to tell us. But I can tell you the explosion was deliberately set. Someone wanted to destroy this building, though I cannot say for sure if they sought this Stomp’s death. It’s hard to read anything in this destruction, but I sense no sign of malice here. But without malice, why would someone destroy this place?”

“Money,” Ian said. “There’s people out there that will do anything for it. Even kill a dozen people in a sports center. Alright, I think I’ve seen enough. Let’s get Rosa and get out of here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment