Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 5. Ian

With only a short trip between the Spirit Cop Headquarters and Rosa’s apartments, it didn’t take long for a bus to drop Phoebe and Ian in front of the building. Ian wasn’t sure he was ready to face Rosa again. He walked into situations several times in his week of memory that could have caused his death, but facing her seemed far harder.

It wasn’t simply her suspicion about his identity before the amnesia. Ian felt responsible for Stomp’s death. Maybe if they would have communicated with him, even stopped to find him before going after Marilyn and Cyrus, he might still be alive.

“You couldn’t have known,” Phoebe said. “I’m sorry, but your guilt is strong, Ian. You cannot take the weight of the world on your shoulders. Your friend’s death came at the hand of someone or something evil. You were a universe away. Even if he came with you, chances are he would be stranded alongside Peach.

Ian knew Phoebe was right, but it didn’t make things any easier as they waited at Rosa’s door. The front door offered no security for the building, but he felt it was probably best to ring her apartment. He didn’t want to push in too close on the woman that still saw him as a killer.

She met them at the door. She wore a heavy jacket, something far warmer than necessary for the early November weather. But Ian knew the climate here was far cooler than she was used to in Mexico. Coupled with her ability to run at supersonic speed, perhaps she needed the heavier attire.

“I thought we were coming up,” Ian said as she pushed out on to the street.

“I don’t want to just sit around the house. I want to go back to the scene. I want to figure out why someone would blow up the building. I want to know who wanted Stomp dead. It’s time I finally get some answers.”

“I might be able to help with that.”

Phoebe’s words brought her to Rosa’s attention for the first time. Ian watched the two women take each other in for a long awkward moment.

“Who’s this?” Rosa’s words were defensive. She didn’t trust Ian already. He hadn’t contemplated she might take Phoebe as an ally of El Sanguijuelo.

“My name is Phoebe.”

“Phoebe what?”

“Just Phoebe.”

“It’s a very long story,” Ian said. “One that I’m not sure even I believe. But Phoebe is another member of our merry band of misfits, I suppose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment