Thursday, March 31, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 18-3

As he met my eyes, I saw the same jagged dagger Saul held before, the one he used to kill Franz and Harry. As Solomon met my eyes, he pulled the blade across his own throat.

Blood jetted from the wound. I felt it splash across my face and chest. My skin burnt at its touch. I tried to struggle away, to clean myself, but I couldn’t break free of whatever they used to drug me.

The energy grew into a palpable force all around me. It whirled and twisted in blue and purple lights around the room. The energy circled and flowed through me even as I could feel my own skin bubble and blister where Solomon’s blood had struck.

But while the energy ripped through me, it also encircled Saul. As I felt my skin melt into something else, I watched the bursts of energy fly directly into Saul’s frame. Each burst shook his frame and he screamed out in the agony I felt but could not express.

His body seemed to glow with some kind of dark light. And as I watched the dark light seemed to fall over him like a veil. It consumed his entire frame and he disappeared from my view. The light took in the entire altar. It darkened in front of me, almost as if it formed some sort of energy shell. I tried to move, to break free of my own agony before something similar could happen to me.

But I couldn’t move. Thinking started to become more of a strain, even as I watched the shell darken blacker than the darkest corner of the abyss. My vision started to blur as I took it in. I felt Solomon’s hand fall away from me and I caught only a glimpse of his body before it fell to the ground between Saul’s shell and me.

My thoughts were growing hazy. At first I thought it might be the drug that held my body in check, but as I watched bits of skin dribble across my vision, I realized it was something else. I was slowly falling apart. I would soon cease to be me.

I wasn’t going to be—no, even my name escaped me. Whatever they did to me, my mind was slowly turning into something else, while my body melted into nothing else.

For some reason, a quote popped into my head at that very moment, from one of my favorite actresses. The nicest thing for me is sleep, so at least I can dream.

I closed my eyes and let myself drift into an endless sleep, one which I’m not sure I would ever wake from.

No comments:

Post a Comment