Saturday, March 26, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 18. Then

I woke in dim light. I rested on something cold, a slab of metal that offered no comfort. I moved to sit up, but couldn’t. For a moment, I thought I was tied or bound by chains or manacles. But I was naked, with only the cold metal beneath me. Still I could not pull myself off of the slab, no matter how hard I tried. It was like my body had betrayed me.

I heard the sound of steps somewhere around me, but it was hard to see anything other than straight up towards the dim ceiling lamp. The room smelled of formaldehyde, a scent that sought to pervade every smell in the room. She could see the flash of lights from something to her right and left, but could not make them out anymore than the approaching footsteps.

“Oh, excellent. I’m glad to see you’re finally awake. You’ve been unconscious for quite some time, young lady.”

I knew the voice instantly. It was Solomon, but I didn’t understand why he was here. I remembered the adventure in the club earlier in the evening. But the night’s end seemed like a blur in my aching mind.

The memories returned in screaming color as the two men approached the table. Solomon looked like he always did, but it was the grim form of his brother Saul that brought the death around me back to vivid life.

“No,” I said. My lips would only move slightly and the word slurred as I said it.

Solomon turned to his brother. “It appears her memories are still in place. I expected them to fade already.”

“The process isn’t yet complete. It won’t be long until she becomes the perfect vessel.”

I didn’t understand their meaning. Maybe this was some kind of weird impregnation routine the brothers invented. But I had a feeling it was something far darker than that. I saw Saul smile as he murdered the men with us. I doubted he was interested in just procreation.

“She’s worried,” Saul said. “She thinks we’re going to hurt her.”

Solomon bent down and gently kissed my forehead. “Don’t worry, my dear. I haven’t fucked you for the past year because I just want your corpse. I have looked for a perfect vessel to create the perfect being, a figure that will survive the coming storm. A being that can carry worthy souls through the coming apocalypse and into the new world that comes after.”

No comments:

Post a Comment