Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Interlude II-2

“Who?” Hermes narrowed his eyes but still couldn’t make them adjust to the light, even through the thin fabric of his blindfold.

“Come now. Have you forgotten me so soon. It’s only been a few decades since you visited my forge.”

“Vulcan?”

“I stick with Hephaestus now, brother. I tired of hearing nonsense about treks across the stars. But of course it is me. Do you know another master of the forge?”

“Nay, brother. I just do not understand what brings you to this place. What business do you have with me that would see you visit me in this prison? You must know of what I’ve done.”

Hephaestus chuckled. “I may be comfortable in my forge, but that does not mean I do not pay attention to the world around me. It has been a very long time since we stood so far above humanity I could pretend i have no contact with them or their ways. Nor was Persephone shy about announcing your betrayal. I know exactly what happens even while I am hard at work on my personal projects.”

“Then why, brother. Are you just here to taunt me in my prison?”

“Nay. I came to free you from this prison.”

Hermes tried to focus through the thin cloth of his blindfold. He had tried to remove it dozens of times, but some power of Pluto’s kept it in place. But he still could not make out more than the vaguest shape of his fellow son of Zeus.

“You speak in riddles, Hephaestus. It is not like you.”

“I speak to someone who now effectively belongs to me. I can speak how I choose.”

A large hand grabbed at the blindfold in front of Hermes’ eyes. Suddenly he was yanked upright, his hands and legs strained against his chains. Hermes gritted his teeth in an attempt to keep the pain from showing.

“You chose to besmirch my name, Hermes. Smith, you called yourself. I do not look kindly on this. When Pluto brought the choice of punishment before our shared father, I asked you be given to me. He agreed to my demands as I made clear the torturous work I will have for you.”

A flash of movement came through his blurred vision. Hermes heard the sound of chains falling to the floor. The strain against his wrists and ankles vanished. He reached out and felt his brother’s shoulder.

“You will obey my will or you will know pain unlike anything even Pluto could inflict. Do you understand me, Hermes?”

Hermes nodded. A moment later, he saw the flames rise suddenly around them. He knew what it meant. One prison was gone. Now, it was only the forge of Hephaestus. But Hermes knew it was only another kind of prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment