Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 12-2

“Maybe you and your friends should have some kind of memorial for Garrett. It could help you quite a bit. I know when I lost my father, hearing everyone’s thoughts about him really helped me get through it. You should give it a try.”

You’re right that I need to end this, but I’ve already lost too many people to just let things go that easily.

“I will talk to the others when I meet with them. It’s a good idea even if I’m not sure if I’m ready to close things like that.”

“We never are, Rosa. We never are.”

“I guess.”

They fell to silence, the somber conversation subsumed by the need to eat. While she knew some people with a lot on their minds didn’t eat much, Rosa had never been one of those people. Maybe it was because her powers consumed so many calories, but she always wanted her next meal no matter what. It being as good as Rey’s burrito was just a plus.

A female voice boomed over the quiet hum of the other customers at their tables. “I will take your finest meat, your finest cheese and your finest wine!”

Rosa and Keith both turned to look at the new arrival. A dark haired woman stood at the order counter. A thin streak of white hair cut through her dark locks, but it did nothing to detract from her striking features. She was dressed in clothes a size too small, but it only served to accentuate her body, which seemed so perfect as to be sculpted from bronze.

“I’m sorry, ma’am. We have steak and queso, but we don’t normally just serve them separately. We have them as burritos, tacos, salads and such. And we don’t have any wine. We have beer, maybe a Corona—”

The new arrival glowered at the order taker. “You have heard me, woman.”

With a sigh, Keith started to rise from his seat. Rosa reached out to grab his hand.

“No, I know it’s your job, but let me handle this one. Perhaps I can help her understand the restaurant a bit better. I want to help and this is something within my power.”

Keith lowered back into his seat. “Alright, but if she gets any more belligerent, I’m going to step in. I would rather not have to write up the paperwork on lunch, but I’m not going to have a fight break out here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment