Saturday, December 5, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 12. Rosa

The placed was called Rey’s Burritos which sounded like exactly the kind of place a girl born and raised in Guadalajara wanted to eat north of the border. It was the kind of name that just sounded like America’s weird hodge podge of American cooking and traditional Mexican cooking. But Keith insisted she try the food. She frowned when she saw the neighborhood. Most of the businesses were a bit rundown and a twenty-four strip club was clearly visible a couple blocks down.

But as she looked at the open kitchen and smelled the food, it was clear the place knew what it was doing. It was clear the people at Rey’s knew something about authentic cooking. She smiled as the couple in front of her ordered tacos and did not receive the crunchy abominations that some American invented.

“See,” Keith said. “This isn’t so bad is it? Besides, I’m buying.”

“So far they’re doing well. But I haven’t tried the food yet.”

The line moved quickly. Keith went first ordering a steak burrito (everything seemed like it was steak here) and a large pop. She followed him up and studied the meat choices and was surprised by several choices that reminded her of her childhood. “I’ll take the lengua please,” she said in Spanish.

The order taker smiled and rattled off both orders in Spanish to the two men behind her.

It took less than ten minutes for their food to reach the table. It might have taken longer in Mexico, but speed was something Americans loved in their food, even if it cost them quality regularly. But as she took the first bit of her burrito, it was clear Rey’s was not that kind of place.

Keith smiled as she took a quick second bite after the first. “I told you this place was great.”

She chewed the mix of rice, meat, bean and tortilla filling her mouth. Unable to speak she gave him a nod and smile.

“Look, I really wanted to thank you for coming out with me. I know your mind is on the friend you lost. I just wanted to say that while I think your heart is in the right place, you need to leave this to the right authorities. I know the detectives are hard at work. Homeland Security is assisting. We take bombings really seriously. We will find out who did this.”

“I know. I just need some kind of closure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment