Thursday, December 24, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 13-3

I walked into an empty lobby. Not just empty in the sense that no one was there, but really empty. There were no desks, no chairs, no people. The tan carpet showed dark spots where dirt had been tracked into it again and again.

I wondered for a moment if I was in the right place at all.

“Welcome!” A tall man followed the voice from the back half of the office. I turned around and saw the area behind the elevator was freed with a group of people mingling over a punch bowl and snack table.

My welcomer was in his early fifties, with deep set eyes and a square jaw. He was bald, not from age, but clearly groomed that way.

“My name is Solomon Davis. Welcome to the Survivors’ Christmas Party!”

I looked around, a bit confused. “Survivors?”

Solomon chuckled. “Yes, we’ve survived without family or close friends, even through the holidays. And we think that’s something to celebrate. So our little group gathers every month, at least until we find love or friend elsewhere. It gives us a bit of camaraderie missing from our normal lives. Every holiday we invite anyone alone into our gathering. It’s something of a recruitment drive mixed with commiseration.”

“I see. Well, thanks for having me. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the paper, but I figured anything would be better than sitting alone.”

“Very, very true! The party goes all afternoon and evening. We will have dinner at five and drinks after. You’re welcome to stay as long as you would like. Generally, we run well into the morning hours, ringing in Christmas like some people ring in New Year’s.”

“That—that honestly sounds nice.”

“I hope so. I like to think our Survivor’s Club is a friendly place. We may not be family people, but that doesn’t mean we have no social graces. We just like to find time to find others like ourselves. You never know where things can go from there.”

“Do you have many relationships form in the club? I’m sure you have some success stories.”

Solomon shook his head. “Not really. It rarely is something club members end up wanting. But that’s a topic for some other time. Right now, let me take you around and introduce you to everyone. Don’t worry, we won’t have a quiz on everyone’s name, not until the drinks start at least.”

I laughed as he ushered me away from the elevator and into my first meeting of the Survivors’ Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment