Thursday, December 10, 2015

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 12-3

Rosa walked calmly up the yelling woman. Until she got up close, Rosa hadn’t realized quite how stunning the woman was. As the woman glanced her way, Rosa could not help but feel that this woman had to be a supermodel of some kind. She wasn’t quite sure why a woman this beautiful would even be in River City, let alone eat at an establishment like Rey’s.

“Hello, maybe I can be of some help. It seems you are not too familiar with Mexican cuisine.”

The other woman eyed Rosa up and down. She offered a sly smile, the kind of look that said she knew what she wanted and intended to get it. It sent a shiver down Rosa’s spine. She knew this type all too well.

“I do not know about Mexican cuisine because I do not care to know. I only wish to be served what I requested. It seems simple enough. I have money and I want what I have called for. Why is that so hard for you… people to understand.”

Rosa’s eyebrow twitched at the strange pause before people. She wondered what the woman meant to say instead, but knew now was not the time to ask. “Look, my name is Rosa. I can help you get something. Generally they serve some variety of meat, cheese, bean and rice inside a tortilla. They’ve got a variety of meats, but only serve Mexican cheeses. I’m sure if you don’t want the beans or rice you could pay extra to have them replaced by more meat or cheese. And there’s no wine, but they do have several beers if you want alcohol. If you don’t understand any of the Spanish on the board I can help you translate.”

“I do not—” The woman shook her head. “No, your offer is gracious, mor—Rosa. You may call me Mel and I would greatly appreciate some filet of pork and a large amount of this cheese from Mexico.”

Rosa rattled off the order in Spanish along with an apology to the order taker. “There you go, Mel. I put your order in. Generally, it takes a few minutes for them to make it, but you’ve got a bit of a line ahead of you.”

“Yes, the line. I am not used to waiting.”

Rosa chuckled. “I know the feeling.” She offered a quick shrug at Mel’s quizzical expression. “Perhaps you would like to join my friend and I?”

She pointed to the table Keith sat at. Mel gave her a smile. “Dear girl, it is dangerous to invite another woman to meet your gentleman friend.”

“It’s alright. I’m not the jealous type.”

“Perhaps you should be,” Mel said as she sauntered towards the table and Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment