Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 15-4

Ian turned and gave Phoebe a glare. She only gave him a wry grin in return.

If I had known she meant to nudge me into using my powers instead of nudging them, I might have said no. If I knew how it would make my head feel, I would definitely have said no.

“Are you alright?” the clerk asked.

“Just a headache,” Ian said. He pulled his hand away from his temple.

She nodded. “I get plenty myself around this place. Seems like it’s a good day when it’s only a quiet roar in here.”

“I guess so.”

She put the card down between them. “Everything looks fine. How are you paying today?”

“Uh, credit card.”

“Sure. You have it.”

His head throbbed again as the card in front of her changed back to the credit card. “It’s already on the table there.”

“Oh, so it is. Totally missed you putting it down.”

“Guess I’m faster than I look.”

She chuckled as she ran the card through her reader. She handed it back to him.

“Everything checks out, Mister Page. Just head over to the camera station and we will get a new picture taken.” She handed him a number and pointed to a set of chairs across the room.

“You got it.”

He shot Phoebe another look as he took the credit card and walked over to take a seat. She didn’t see it however as she was already talking to a young man in the line next to her.

Ian couldn’t quite hold in his surprise. Though they had been out for most of the day, Phoebe had shown no sign of wanting to interact with anyone other than him and Rosa. She seemed almost aloof to the people they passed on the street, nor did she talk to anyone on the bus. But now she was talking to a thirty something man in the line next to her. They seemed to be getting along swimmingly as they chattered like they were old friends.

Ian couldn’t quite make heads or tails of it. But he didn’t have time to think about it as he heard his number called. He quickly pulled himself out of his chair and made his way to a camera station. He didn’t want to push his luck any longer than he needed. Something told him the sooner they were out of here the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment