Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Walking Shadows Book 3 Chapter 15. Ian

The cold seemed to grow more bitter as Phoebe and Ian walked through the streets of River City. The buses seemed to avoid their route and neither he nor Phoebe really wanted to hurry back to Spirit Cop Headquarters. While his history might be important to him, Ian knew he needed to break free of the cot upstairs in Alli’s business. With both Phoebe and him staying there, it was already crowded and he felt bad living off her good graces.

Of course, finding his own place wouldn’t be easy. He had no identification and little money. He would need to remedy both if he was going to find a way to live in River City for any length of time.

“Your current situation troubles you, Ian.” He looked towards Phoebe, a smirk on her face. “You act as though Alli sees you as little more than trouble. I suspect she sees you as a friend, even if your arrival has sent her life into an upheaval.”

“You might be right. But that doesn’t mean I don’t feel as though I’m leeching off her. The irony is that I have one person constantly calling me ‘The Leech’ in Spanish, but it’s a completely other person I feel far more like I’m taking too much from.”

“I suspect you worry too much. I suppose if I only had a week’s memories and they started with my escape from a cell, I might also have such worries. But you must not let them overcome you. Come, I suspect I can help you in these matters. Tell me, where is a place that you can get the proper identification that you need.”

“Well, I would need a driver’s license, but for that I would need a social security number. And I’ll need both if I am ever going to have a hope of getting any kind of job.”

“A driver’s license? This is a license to pilot your fossil engine vehicles, yet you use it as identification. Truly your world is strange, Ian Page.”

“I guess.”

“Come, let us go to this Department of Motor Vehicles I can hear echoing in your head.”

“I really hate it when you do that, you know. My mind isn’t there for you to read.”

“My apologies, Ian. I only mean to help. Will you come with me?”

Ian shrugged. “What the hell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment